The main aim of the WISE Project (Widening Interdisciplinary Sustainability Education) is to organize an international interdisciplinary network of academic teachers and researchers that will work together to develop operational capacity of an integrated interdisciplinary thinking about sustainable development. In addition the project will deliver useful innovative multidisciplinary tools to support development of environmental studies embedded in Sustainable Development in Higher Education.
The specific objectives are:
1) To exchange knowledge and experience concerning different types of studies and specific tools and methods for implementing interdisciplinarity in academic teaching built on the broad expertise from a range of countries’ contexts
2) To thoroughly discuss challenges of interdisciplinary education in studies related to environmental problems and sustainability;
3) To gather information on possibilities how to incorporate the sustainability-oriented education into university curricula within partners’ countries (value added)
4) To develop a handbook with some of teaching materials (from both social and natural sciences) that can contribute to improvements of study programmes related to environment in European countries
5) To test study materials adapted both to the needs of students and teachers and the needs of the labour market, available to the teachers across Europe (open access basis) after the project closure
6) To create a blueprint for a new join international innovative interdisciplinary educational programme in higher education that would tackle the contemporary environmental problems and prepare students to face them in the future.